I’ve decided to Sunday Dinners at my house. Not only do I love to cook but I love to feed people so this seemed like a great opportunity to bring everyone together around my food!
Everyone celebrates Labor Day as the ‘end of summer’. Why would we celebrate summer ending?!?! Anyway, this salad honors garden fresh veggies, warm sun, and pool parties! Enjoy 🙂
Cherry Tomatoes, heirloom
Corn, fresh off cob
Basil, fresh, torn
Jalapeno, 1/2 diced
1. Chop vegetables, add vinegar, oil, and salt.
2. Mix to combine and serve.
All of these ingredients came from the garden and every bite tastes like summer!
Lemon, juice and zest
Mint, fresh from garden
Basil, fresh from garden
1. Dice shallot and jalapeno and add to a bowl with lemon juice and salt. The acid will help “cook” the shallot and pull out the raw taste.
2. Dice tomato and cucumber and add to the bowl. Cut corn off of the cob and add in as well.
3. Wash herbs, chop then add to the salad.
4. Season with more salt, if desired.
Tip: This would also be a great base for a summery gazpacho! Follow above instructions then blend!
Some girlfriends came over and before heading to the pool I blended some ripe watermelon with fresh picked mint from the garden and poured it over ice. Fresh, sweet, and delicious!
Keeping it simple works perfectly!
Watermelon, chilled in fridge
1. Add watermelon and mint and blend.
2. Pour over ice cubes.
3. Add your optional additions.
Sweet: If the watermelon isn’t sweet enough for your taste, add agave/sugar/maple etc.
Tang: Squeeze a lime in!
On June 1, I started a 14-day Raw Challenge inspired by Fully Raw Kristina. So when I had a brunch date with my girlfriends, I was sure to make a salad to satisfy everyone and start my challenge off right!
The creamy avocado dressing paired with the sweet mango, crunchy corn, and mint leaves really bring this all together. Next time I’m making twice the portion (because I want seconds!).
Corn, cut fresh off cobb
Red pepper, diced
1. Prepare all veggies and put in a big bowl.
2. Put the avocado in a separate bowl and mash with lemon juice and salt until creamy. Add water to thin it out (to the texture of a creamy salad dressing). Add cayenne pepper (or black pepper or jalapeno) to taste.
3. Add avocado dressing to the salad bowl and mix so every part of the salad is covered with the creamy dressing.
4. Serve and mmmm!
Bookmark these recipes for your summer parties: 1. everyone loves Mexican food 2. these salads go with everything a summer BBQ has to offer 3. they can handle the summer heat!
Remember, avocado is always welcome to join this party 😉
Black Bean-Corn Salad
1. Dice onion and sautee with olive oil. Add cumin seeds to toast then add diced jalepeno.
2. Add corn to sautee pan, then add black beans.
3. Mix and season to taste.
Lime, zest and juice
1. Chop tomato, zucchini, cilantro, red onion and add to a bowl with lime zest, juice and oil.
Serve with tortilla chips, rice, in a tortilla, or on a green salad!
good food. ok person.
Flexitarian & Baking Recipes from Londoner, Izy Hossack
Exploring Culinary Traditions of Africa, African America and the African Diaspora
Shining a light on the vegetarian/vegan ideal in our Torah/Bible.
Local cooking and eating in New York's Hudson Valley.
connoisseur of fine cake
Uncensored News, Commentary and Experiences From the Planned Giving World
Learn Goan and Indian Recipes