I know this picture doesn’t do the meal any justice because grilled okra …. sweet potato fries….corn-tomato salad…tofu hoagie all tasted better than it looks (here) but luckily my friend Dominique, who is a photographer, captured these photos. Thanks girl! 🙂
Since pineapple is my favorite fruit I am sure I’ll be in heaven when I go to Hawaii (oooh, I like how that makes it sound like I have a pending trip…let’s pretend I do!). In the meantime, make this salad!
It’s tangy, sweet, crunchy, savory, and salty…you’re welcome! 😉
Sesame Seeds, Toasted
Hawaiian Spice Blend
Rice Wine Vinegar
1. Slice vegetables and add to a bowl.
2. Dressing: Combine soy sauce, diced jalapeno, rice wine vinegar, Hawaiian spice blend, and olive oil in a bowl, making a vinaigrette.
3. Add dressing to the vegetables and mix together.
This is a new favorite salad! The crunchy carrots with the toasty/nutty cumin and fresh herbs make it a perfect salad for any meal! I also got to use my julienne peeler and fresh herbs from the garden 😀 Definitely add this one to your repertoire!
Cumin Seeds, toasted then hand ground
Lemon, zest and juice
Salt and Pepper
Parsley (flat leaf), fresh
1. Peel carrots.
2. Finely dice onion and add to a bowl with the lemon and let it sit for at least 10 minutes to ‘cook’ the onion. Then add salt, pepper, honey, and olive oil to make into a Lemon-Honey-Red Onion vinaigrette.
3. Carefully toast cumin seeds then grind to a mixed powder–the mortar and pestle is always fun! Add cumin to the vinaigrette.
4. Combine carrots with the vinaigrette then fresh chopped herbs….massage the flavor in.
5. This can sit for up to 3 days…you want the crunchy carrot texture!