Think of beet greens as a mix between spinach and swiss chard and prepare accordingly. Raw in a salad, added to a smoothie/juice, or satueed with spinach–all preparations are delightful for this underused green. I’ve prepared this fresh beet green-radish salad which would be a perfect appetizer, side dish or lunch! The recipe is easy to make and packed with flavor. Now you don’t have to wonder…am I allowed to eat these?
Beet Green Salad
Beet Greens, 1 bunch
Vinegar (I used a combination of pear vinegar and orange-champagne…just because)
Mustard (I used this)
Salt and Pepper
Goat Cheese (optional)
1. Rinse the beet greens and radish. Side note: It is important to use the greens within 2-3 days of buying them.
2. Chop greens, dice radish and put in a bowl.
3. Make vinaigrette: combine vinegar, salt and pepper, poppy seeds, mustard, and agave then stream in olive oil while whisking into a dressing.
4. Add the dressing to the salad. You can serve immediately or let it sit for up to a day in the fridge. If you let it sit, the vinaigrette will marinate and “cook” the greens for a well-developed flavor and texture.
5. Add goat cheese! (Optional if you’re keeping it dairy free)
Let me know what you think!