I don’t think anyone needs convincing when it comes to butternut squash soup because its thick, creamy, silken texture is luxurious and warming on a cold fall day and the earthy sage adds depth. So there’s all the adjectives you need to be inspired—now make it!
Butternut Squash (aka BNS), peeled and diced
Golden Delicious Apple, peeled and diced
Salt and Pepper
Bay Leaf, 2
1. On medium heat, heat oil in a soup pot and then add sage.
2. Add diced onion and sautee; then add chopped garlic.
3. Add diced BNS and apple and sautee for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
4. Add bay leaf and water and bring it to a boil (with lid on) and cook until the BNS is tender. Turn off the heat and let it rest for a few minutes before blending. Remember to remove the bay leaves before you blend.
5. Add boiled water, as needed, to create a consistency that you like.
Optional: Serve with sage on top.