I cannot believe this is my first post of a fritatta–this recipe is a staple in my kitchen and what I love about it is that you can make it with any combination of vegetables that you have on hand. Serve with a side salad and you’ve got a perfectly satisfying meal!
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat oven to 350. Put eggs in a bowl and beat them with a whisk. Add salt and pepper. I use between 6 and 8 eggs per batch–sometimes it is all eggs, other times a combination of whites and eggs. Your call.
2. Sautee onion in a pan with olive oil, add garlic, salt and pepper. It is important to season (with salt and pepper) both the eggs and the sauteed vegetables otherwise it ends up being bland and that’s blah!
3. Add broccoli and cook for up to 5 minutes. DO NOT over cook the broccoli (it should still be bright green) because it’ll cook again in the oven.
4. Take the broccoli pan off of the heat and add grated parmesan to the mixture. Allow sauteed vegetables to slightly cool before adding to the bowl of eggs.
5. Mix veggies and eggs together until even combined. Oil (spray with PAM) a pie pan (a glass 9″ pan is my preference) then pour in egg/veggie mixture. Gently jiggle the pan to even out the mixture.
6. Put dish in 350 oven and cook for 25-30 minutes. (Start with 25 and check the status…) Once it looks cooked (no jiggly egg in the middle–ewww) remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack.
This is delicious warm and room temperature. I love it for potlucks, brunch, and to take to work for breakfast! You can substitute the step of sauteeing broccoli for any other combination of vegetables: asparagus, red peppers, artichoke hearts, zucchini…get creative!
Secret note: if you want to add arugula/spinach (genius idea!) but do NOT cook those greens. Simply add them to the mixture of eggs and the already cooked vegetables and let the oven cook the those greens–otherwise they’ll be mushy and mushy is blahhh. 😉