My friend came over to cook and we started our day at the produce market then went to the Indian grocery store so she could stock up on spices. A perfect way to spend a Sunday, in my opinion! Anyway, while at the produce store she mentioned having sauteed kale nearly every night the week before…”but I never had it raw” she said, so I threw a bunch of kale into her basket and when we got home, we made this salad.
Kale’s nutritious self deserves a place on your salad plate. When you massage the leaves with lemon, they become tender and a perfect canvas for your favorite toppings.
Sesame Seeds, toasted
>>Served with tahini dressing:
Lemon, zest and juice
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper
*Tahini dressing is my go-to dressing
1. Wash kale and remove stalks from leaves.
2. Put leaves in a bowl with lemon zest and juice and massage the kale while ripping the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
3. Chop all other vegetables that you want to add to the salad and mix with the kale.
4. Make tahini dressing: Combine tahini, lemon, water, pepper and salt and blend until smooth. Add olive oil at the end to thicken to your liking. I use water to dilute the thick tahini instead of oil for calorie savings and I think the texture is better as well.
5. Pour dressing over salad and mix until well coated.