April makes me happy for many reasons: 1. my birthday month 2. the goddess of spring reveals herself 3. asparagus season !
While nearly every preparation of asparagus is delicious (I’d recommend not juicing it–trust!), I hadn’t made a soup of it before. I wanted to keep it bright green, and fresh tasting so, while these pictures look like a green smoothie in a bowl, it is a delicious savory, fresh asparagus and pea soup to celebrate spring!
1 white Onion
5 stalks Celery
1 bunch Asparagus
1 bag of frozen Peas
Dried Mint, fresh would be perfect
Dried Parsley, fresh would be wonderful
Salt and Pepper
1 Tb Himalayan Sea Salt
1. Add broth ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Sautee onion and garlic with salt and pepper and olive oil. Once transparent and aromatic, add diced celery and chopped asparagus.
3. Once the asparagus looks cooked through (but still bright green) add the peas, mint and parsley. DO NOT OVER COOK!
4. Strain the broth into the soup pot and turn off the heat.
5. Allow to sit for a few minutes and blend with a hand mixer.
6. Season to taste.