While watching GIRLS on Saturday night, my friend said “I want lemon poppy seed macaroons”. I replied: “I can totally make that”. And that is how this recipe came to be!
1 1/2 c coconut flakes
Zest from 2 lemons
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 Tb coconut oil
1/4 c agave (or maple)
1-3 Tb almond milk
1-2 tsp vanilla
1/2-1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
1 cup raw cashews, soaked
3-4 tsp poppy seeds
1. Soak cashews–at least 30 minutes, max 24 hours.
2. Put remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
3. Add drained cashews to a food processor and blend. Add some almond milk to loosen it up. If you have a good food processor, the blend can get really creamy. Mine isn’t so great so its slightly chunky which I kind of like as added texture to the macaroons (looking for the bright side of a $40 food processor).
4. Add bowl of coconutty ingredients to food processor.
5. Pulse until all ingredients are well combined. Don’t over do it. You want the poppy seeds to remain whole and the coconut to keep its texture.
6. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
7. Remove from fridge, form in balls, return to fridge/freezer.