Cancel your plans for the next 30 minutes, you’re making homemade flat-bread crackers! The best part is that you already have the necessary ingredients in your cabinet (no shopping required) to make this recipe and satisfy your crunchy, salty snack craving. This naan/curry inspired spice blend was a delicious combination, I do recommend that you try it. This recipe is surprisingly EASY to make and the options are endless when it comes to seasoning the dough.
Tracy Benjamin from Shutterbean taught me this recipe and I have adapted it 85 different ways depending on the flavor profile I want. I love the versatility of the recipe; it is just so delicious!
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
Crushed red pepper flakes
1. Measure dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and fill with water and oil. Stir with whisk until the dough is formed.
2. Take chunks of dough and roll out in rustic form. Don’t be scared–you cannot mess this up!
3. Place on tray and bake for 10 minutes (until bottom is golden). Sometimes I will flip the cracker over to get brown-age on both sides.
4. Allow to cool and break apart…or just eat.
I have spiced with:
(1) toasted cumin seeds
(2) thyme lemon zest and black pepper
(3) dill and lemon zest
(4) curry powder and lime zest
(5) salt and pepper
(6) diced kalamata olives, parsley, lemon zest
(7) curry powder
(8) oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, black pepper
Basically, do what ever you want and it will be delicious!
This cracker can be made in advance (double, triple the recipe!) and added to your appetizer tray or your snack bin. Eat with soup, salad, or on its own. Goat cheese and jam is a delicious combination too! I am not sure how long they would last in storage because within 48 hours they are GONE! 😉